2018 Legislative PrioritiesTo view/download a copy of the 2018 document, click here
Kentucky REALTORS® released its 2018 Legislative Priorities detailing the legislative initiatives of the real estate and small business community for the upcoming session of the Kentucky General Assembly.
Kentucky REALTORS® (KYR) knows that homeownership has positive impacts on neighborhoods, communities, and the overall vibrancy of the Kentucky economy. KYR advocates for policies that increase access to the American Dream of homeownership by promoting growth, attracting new jobs and talent, and encouraging positive community development.
The legislative priorities for KYR are crafted through a multi-step process that begins with its over 10,000 members. A survey is sent out to the full membership to determine which issues matter most, with those issues analyzed by the Governmental Affairs Committee. The Committee takes into account the survey responses and any carryover issues from previous legislative sessions and crafts an agenda, which is then approved by the Board of Directors and the Delegate Body.
“There are several tough issues that need attention in this state,” said 2017 KYR President Mike Becker. “As we move closer to the session, tax reform and pension reform are looming on the horizon and both could have extreme impacts on the economy and, ultimately, the real estate industry. We are pushing for responsible changes that do not place a disproportionate burden on the backs of homeowners and the middle-class and also looking out for other matters that could have the same effect.”
Specifically, KYR’s interests fall into the following categories:
- Enacting Tax Reform
- Protecting the mortgage interest deduction and property tax deduction
- Opposing sales tax on services
- Creating a first-time homebuyer savings account program
- Protecting and Advancing the Real Estate Industry
- Eliminating regulations that burden small businesses and independent contractors
- Engaging in the continued implementation of HB 443 (2017 RS), which reorganized the Kentucky Real Estate Authority
- Working with the administration and legislators to ensure the highest level of consumer protection, educational standards, and professionalism among licensees
- Driving Growth and Economic Prosperity
- Promoting economic development initiatives that bring new jobs to Kentucky
- Supporting meaningful pension reform that sustains funding for the critical areas of state government involved in attracting new investments and growing our economy
- Promoting workforce development programs that bring Kentuckians back into the job market and provide the opportunity to put down stable roots in the housing market
- Stimulating Community Development
- Allowing localities the flexibility to generate funding for public infrastructure
- Supporting expanded and improved access to fast and reliable internet service across the Commonwealth
- Building strong and healthy communities by supporting initiatives to combat the opioid abuse epidemic
Kentucky REALTORS® is one of the largest and most influential associations in Kentucky. Founded in 1922, Kentucky REALTORS® represents more than 10,800 REALTORS® who are involved in all aspects of real estate, including residential and commercial real estate brokers, sales agents, developers, builders, property managers, office managers, appraisers and auctioneers.